In this Frequently Asked Question Episode, I demonstrate how to install package bees into two different hive designs step by step with commentary. Saskatraz survivor cold weather bees are being added to my backyard apiary. They are advertised to be disease resistant and varroa "tolerant" while demonstrating great honey producing traits.
Is a Saskatraz Honey Bee smaller than others? No, I measured several samples against the BeeWeaver line of honey bees and they are the same if not a tiny bit larger? They do appear to have longer tongues which will give them access to floral sources that some others cannot reach. Some varieties of alfalfa for example, have flowers that are too deep for some honeybees.
Please take a moment to write any questions you may have for "beginning beekeepers" in the comment section and I will possibly add your question to the upcoming FAQ next Friday!
Items used in this video are linked below for your convenience:
1) 10- Frame Ultimate Hive Stand (can be used as a permanent hive stand) which I use for temporary staging: https://amzn.to/2HdpLKb
2) Slatted Rack 10-Frame or 8-Frame (spacer between brood box and bottom board): https://amzn.to/2JvDVYp
3) FlowHive 2 with my favorite honey removal frames and integrated pest management tray and bottom board: DISCOUNT LINK $50/Off - http://mbsy.co/honeyflow/29307941
4) Honey-B-Healthy Essential Oil for your Syrup: https://amzn.to/2LBAGBD
5) Rapid Round Hive Top Feeder (shown in video): https://amzn.to/2E3CHAd
6) Ceracell Hive Top Feeder (serves as both feeder shim and feeder tank in one): Large Capacity No Waste: https://amzn.to/2VsklDV
7) Nitrile Gloves by Curad so you can perform detailed work without smashing any bees: https://amzn.to/2LB2CWl
8) My Favorite heavy-waxed single piece frames so the bees draw out comb faster when you're starting with nothing: (Acorn) https://amzn.to/2E1uwVb
9) Not currently recommending the Mann Lake Pre-Waxed single piece frames as they have broken during shipment and are not as tough as the Acorn materials. I will share if the bees choose them over the Acorn frames in a later video.
10) My Favorite Beginner Bee-Suit which is great for hot summer days. Zippered veil, excellent quality. Tell them Fred Send You! https://guardianbeeapparel.com/shop/vented-suit-easy-access-veil/
11) The BEST QUALITY hive side Frame Holder I have found anywhere - stainless steel, your frames can NOT fall through. Tell them Fred Send YOU! https://littlemulebee.com/collections/frame-holder
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.